Ormiston Children and Families Trust is one of the largest voluntary providers of support to children, young people and their families in the Eastern region. As well as running 7 Children's Centres across Colchester, we work in 10 of the region's prisons and young offender instiutions.
Children's Centres are here to help...............................
Supporting Families with Children under 5 years old
Ormiston are managing a one year pilot project for supporting families with children under 5 years old and who have a family member in prison. The Prison Link worker can provide information and advice to families affected by imprisonment and can also offer families guidance in accessing their local Children's Centre for support in the community. These families will be living in Colchester, Tendring or Castle Point.
What Orimston will do...
- Introduce you to your local Children's Centre where you can enjoy a range of fun activities and find out information for yourself and your children
- Put you in touch with an Ormiston worker who will answer your questions about and offer support for your family
- Give you practical information about prison. Where it is, how to get there and give you advice about prison visits
- Offer you opportunities to talk confidentially about issues affecting you and your family. This can be done in your home or another place of your choice
- Give you information to help your children understand more about visiting a parent or loved one in prison.
If you or anyone you know in these areas would benefit from this support please call Nicola Sparks on 01245 552453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Time for Children and Young People (Essex)
This is an Ormiston outreach support service for children and young people aged 5-13 years who have a parent or relative in prison. The service offers one to one support for children and young people, groups to attend, fun activities and a chance to meet other young people with a relative in prison. It also offers signposting and information for families and those that support them.
If you or someone you know would benefit from this support, contact Kathy Joyce on 01206 562033 or email email@example.com
What Ormiston will do...
- Provide a link with the prison based staff
- Identify the wider needs in relation to family support
- Offer direct support and signposting
- Identify services available to support the needs of families
- Improve access to services for children and families of offenders
We are here to help, so if you need support, advice or more information please contact Nicola Sparks or Kathy Joyce as above.
For information about Ormiston's work please visit http://www.ormiston.org/
Other useful contacts:
Prisoners' families helpline 0808 808 2003
A free and confidential service for anyone who is affected by the imprisonment of a close family member or friend.
Parent Line 0808 800 2222
Offers free 24/7 helpline providing parenting advice and parental guidance, on a wide range of parenting issues.
For information about children's centres in Tendring please click here and for Castle Point click here.