The Essex CAPI Service provides information and advice to professionals; and support to children, young people and their families when they have been affected by parental imprisonment or the Criminal Justice System.
The CAPI Service offers the following;
• Support for both professionals and parents in identifying and responding to childrens' and young people's feelings with age appropriate services and support.
• Support for families dealing with the shock, loss of a family member, isolation and the stigma of having a family member in prison.
• Help families with debt management, benefit changes, housing issues and budgeting.
• Practical tips and visiting advice for parents and professionals on the court process and prison system.
• Applying for a visiting order and how to claim reimbursements for Assisted Prison Visits (APV) along with information about general and family day visits.
• Advice and age appropriate resources for professionals and parents to support them in telling the children and preparing children and young people for visiting prison.
• Home, school or community based support (subject to referral needs and area) and/or joint working with other agencies to provide practical support, including dealing with challenging behaviour, emotional well-being and parenting support.
• Whole family approach to support the reduction of reoffending by way of strengthening relationships and maintaining family ties.
Essex CAPI Service also;
• Works in partnership with agencies and organisations across Essex including Health, Education and Social Care, HMP & YOI Chelmsford and other prisons, Court Services and Community Rehabilitation Companies (Probation teams).
• Induction talks for detainees, family day events and services provided at the Military Correction Training Centre (MCTC) Colchester.
• Training courses and workshops for professionals including Hidden Sentence Training.
• Multi-agency Steering Group meetings for professionals to discuss local needs and issues affecting children, young people and their families, local and national data and opportunities for joint working.
• Establishment of Single Point of Contact (SPOC) Leads across Essex to provide a network of advice and local knowledge and support for professionals and families to access.
The Essex CAPI Service have produced a range of leaflets which are available for downloading and printing and these can be accessed through the i-HOP website https://www.i-hop.org.uk/
To contact the CAPI team please ring
Pitsea Office - 01268 558448
CAPI Team Manager - 07807 194589
Hemmington House 01255 688467 (answerphone)
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
CAPI Self and Agency Referral Form
Referral Protocol and Pathway
A Guide for Professionals
Hidden Sentence Training Leaflet